[Reprinted from Ocean Magnetic Observations, 1905-1916, and Reports on Special Researches. By L. A. Bauer, with W. J. Peters, J. A. Fleming, J. P. Ault, and W. F. G. Swann. Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication 175, vol. 3 (1917). Page 10]
CRUISE I, AUGUST TO DECEMBER 1905.
After the various necessary alterations (see page 130) were completed, and an inspection was made by the President of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, the Galilee was ready to enter upon her duties in August 1905. Magnetic observations were made under the Director's instructions and supervision, at various places on the shores around San Francisco Bay, from the results of which the most suitable place for swinging ship was determined. The Galilee was then swung, with the aid of a tug, on August 2, 3, and 4, in San Francisco Bay, between Goat Island and Berkeley, and the various ship's deviation coefficients were thus ascertained. (See Plate 1, Fig. 1.)
On August 5, 1905, the Galilee started from San Francisco on her first cruise, securing magnetic observations daily to a greater or less extent, according to conditions of the weather and sea, swinging twice under sail, and arriving at San Diego, August 12. This first short passage of the cruise was an experimental trip, various instruments and methods being subjected to trials under the supervision of the Director, who accompanied the expedition as far as San Diego for this purpose; during this trip he also completed the training of the observers, and tested under sea conditions the deflecting apparatus devised for measuring the horizontal intensity of the Earth's magnetic field.
After some further alterations had been made at San Diego and the deviation coefficients had been redetermined, the Galilee again set sail on September 1, this time for the Hawaiian Islands, and arrived at Honolulu on September 16. The shore observations and the instrumental comparisons at the Honolulu Magnetic Observatory having been completed, she left Honolulu September 28; after the vessel had been swung at a point abreast the Honolulu Magnetic Observatory, sail was set for Fanning Island, where the Galilee arrived on October 10. When the necessary harbor swings and shore observations at Fanning were completed, a course was taken south, on October 14, to about [1.6 degrees] south latitude in longitude [197.3 degrees] east, which point was reached on October 17; next a northwestward course was followed to about meridian [190.5 degrees] east, thence to Honolulu, where the expedition arrived on November 7. After completion of her observations, the Galilee left Honolulu November 12, following a northwesterly course to about [28.2 degrees] north latitude and longitude [196.5 degrees] east, from which point she proceeded to a point somewhat north of latitude [41.2 degrees] in longitude [209.7 degrees] east, and thence she followed a direct course to San Diego. The first cruise was thus completed at San Diego on December 9, 1905, a distance of 10,571 nautical miles having been covered. The necessary swings and closing shore observations were made at San Diego between December 11 and 18.
The commander of the vessel on this cruise was J. F. Pratt, an experienced officer of the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey. By the courtesy of the Secretary of Commerce and the Superintendent of the Coast and Geodetic Survey, he was granted the necessary furlough, and entered the temporary employ of the Department of Terrestrial Magtism [sic] for the purpose of assisting the Director in the inauguration of the magnetic survey of the ocean areas, and to prepare the vessel for the purposes of the expedition. The other members of the vessel's scientific personnel were: Dr. J. Hobart Egbert*, magnetic observer and surgeon; J. P. Ault, magnetic observer; and P. C. Whitney*, magnetic observer and watch officer. The sailing-master was Capt. J. T. Hayes. For a fuller account of the cruise see J. F. Pratt's report (pp. 128-134) and abstract of log (pp. 141-143).
* Member of the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey, courteously granted the required furlough to enter the temporary employ of the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism.