[Reprinted from Ocean Magnetic and Electric Observations, 1915-1921. By J. P. Ault, S. J. Mauchly, W. J. Peters, L. A. Bauer, and J. A. Fleming. Carnegie Institution of Washington Publication 175, vol. 5 (1926). Page 12-13]
CRUISE V, DECEMBER 1917 TO JUNE 1918.
After the completion of Cruise IV the Carnegie was detained at Buenos Aires for over 9 months on account of the war. In October 1917 preparations were made to start the vessel on her homeward cruise from Buenos Aires to an Atlantic port by way of Cape Horn, the Pacific Ocean, and the Panama Canal. This cruise, designated Cruise V, began at Buenos Aires December 4, 1917.
The passage around Cape Horn to Talcahuano, Chile, was made in the short time of 38 days, arrival at the latter port occurring January 11, 1918. Although the usual stormy weather and heavy seas were encountered off Cape Horn, the winds usually drew from favorable directions. The daily average for the 38 days at sea was 102 nautical miles, the total run having been 3,863 miles, and the usual daily program of magnetic and other work was carried out without serious interruption.
After a stay of 12 days at Talcahuano, during which time the C.I.W. magnetic stations at Coronel and at Concepcion were reoccupied, the Carnegie sailed again on January 23, 1918, for Callao, Peru. After a large detour to the westward to fill in unsurveyed areas, the vessel arrived at Callao February 22,1918, having made a highly successful trip of 30 days.
During the stay of over one month at Callao, a complete program of intercomparisons of instruments was carried out at a former C. I. W. station at Lima (see Pl. 4, Fig. 5). On March 29, 1918, the vessel set sail for Balboa, Canal Zone, arriving there April 24, 1918, after another detour to the westward to cover unsurveyed regions. On May 2, 1918, the Carnegie for the second time passed through the Panama Canal, this time from the Pacific to the Atlantic.
After a stay of 9 days at Cristobal, during which an intercomparison of instruments was again made, the Carnegie started out on the final part of her journey homeward on May 11, 1918. Owing to light winds and adverse currents some difficulty was experienced in clearing the coast of Panama. Conditions were also unfavorable for making the route called for to the eastward through the Caribbean Sea, so that it was necessary to set the course westward and return through the Gulf of Mexico and the Straits of Florida. On June 4, 1918, the vessel arrived at Newport News.
On June 8, 1918, the Carnegie left Newport News for Washington, where she arrived June 10, 1918, after spending a day in swinging-ship observations in Chesapeake Bay. Declination observations were also made in the bay and in the Potomac River. The trip from Old Point Comfort to Washington was made under the vessel's own power. Thus, after an absence of nearly three and one-half years, the Carnegie was once more in a home port on the Atlantic coast.
During Cruise V, the Carnegie traveled over 13,195 miles of ocean, and the daily average for the 122 days at sea was 108 miles. Tracks of former cruises by this same vessel were crossed 10 times and Galilee tracks were crossed 3 times, thus furnishing further valuable information regarding secular variation.
As usual, observations for magnetic intensity and inclination at sea were made daily, regardless of sea and weather. Magnetic-declination results were obtained every day but 4, which were too cloudy for these observations. The atmospheric-electric observations were continued throughout the cruise.
The ship's personnel during November 1917 to the close of Cruise V in June 1918 was as follows: Dr. H. M. W. Edmonds, magnetician and surgeon, and master of the vessel; A. D. Power, magnetician and second-in-command; B. Jones, L. L. Tanguy, and J. M. McFadden, observers; W. E. Scott, stenographer-recorder (N. Meisenhelter resigned as stenographer-recorder in September, having been continuously on board the Carnegie for five and one-half years); A. Beech, first watch-officer; M. G. R. Savary, engineer; L. Larsen and A. Erickson, second and third watch-officers, respectively; C. Heckendorn, mechanic; 8 seamen, 2 cooks, and 2 cabin-boys; the complete personnel at any one time thus consisted of 23 persons.